Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Prayer of St. Patrick

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me,
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.


I bind unto myself the name,
The strong name of the Trinity;
By invocation of the same.
The Three in One, and One in Three,
Of whom all nature hath creation,
Eternal Father, Spirit, Word:
Praise to the Lord of my salvation,
salvation is of Christ the Lord.



The following is the Wikipedia account of St Patrick, Click here for all the active links.

Saint Patrick (c. 390 - 460)[2] (Latin: Patricius,[3] Irish: Naomh Pádraig) was a Roman Britain-born Christian missionary and is the patron saint of Ireland, along with Brigid of Kildare and Columba. He was educated at a monastery and school of divinity founded by Illtud (now Llantwit Major).
When he was about 16 he was captured by Irish raiders and taken from his native Wales as a slave to Ireland, where he lived for six years before escaping and returning to his family. After entering the Church, he later returned to Ireland as a missionary in the north and west of the island, but little is known about the places where he worked and no link can be made between Patrick and any church.
By the eighth century he had come to be revered as the patron saint of Ireland. The Irish monastery system evolved after the time of Patrick and the Irish church did not develop the diocesan model that Patrick and the other early missionaries had tried to establish.
The available body of evidence does not allow the dates of Patrick's life to be fixed with certainty, but it appears that he was active as a missionary in Ireland during the second half of the fifth century. Two letters from him survive, along with later hagiographies from the seventh century onwards. Many of these works cannot be taken as authentic traditions. Uncritical acceptance of the Annals of Ulster would imply that he lived from 340 to 460, and ministered in what is modern day northern Ireland from 428 onwards.
Saint Patrick's Day (17 March) is celebrated both in and outside of Ireland, as both a liturgical and non-liturgical holiday. Outside of Ireland, it can be a celebration of Ireland itself. In the universal Roman Catholic Church it is an optional memorial, though in the dioceses of Ireland it is a both a solemnity and a holy day of obligation.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Dave, I love that St. Patrick's verse! And "I Bind Unto Myself Today" is a great baptismal song. I think the congregation sang it a few times when I pastored in Decorah, but we never when I was with you in Holmen. Sorry! So much wonderful music, so little time...
    -- Pastor Glenn Borreson

    ReplyDelete